Coding Team Lead
Coding Team Lead | Responsibilities and Metrics
Coding Team Lead is a leadership position that brings business knowledge, innovation, and insight to create distinctive value for VBO and its clients while creating a culture of individual ownership and accountability for high performance. This is an advanced to expert level coding position that will review escalated coding claim edits for data retrieval, analysis, and reimbursement. Assists the coding team with questions. Monthly auditing of coding staff for accuracy on edits.
Assists the manager in trending issues in the work queues. Ability to use designated and coding abstracting systems using the encoder as needed. Train coders on new and current coding updates.
Analyzes accounts to identify inventory trends and possible resolution steps; Efficiently and effectively manage the day-to-day operations of client engagements; assists to improve the overall productivity and quality of the engagement team while maintaining good employee relations
As a Coding Team Lead, you’ll work as part of a team of problem solvers with consulting and industry experience.
- Supervising staff and their associated workload; tracking individual and team success against pre defined key performance indicators
- Monitor staff member's performance and behavior and coordinate with Human Resources whenever corrective action is required.
- Building and managing high-performing teams to deliver high quality to our clients through:
- Leveraging diverse views to encourage innovation and help develop and grow team members throughout the course of every engagement
- Providing meaningful feedback related to engagement progress and issues in a timely manner to appropriate leadership
- Following project policies and procedures consistent with payer guidelines and client expectations • Creates, maintains, and reviews engagement documents and deliverables
- Provides project oversight and technical input on complex projects in a highly quantitative environment
- Performs data quality reviews on inpatient/outpatient encounters to validate the ICD-10-CM,ICD-10- PCS, CPT, and HCPCS Level II code and modifier assignments, DRG/APC group appropriateness, missed secondary diagnoses and/or procedures, and ensure compliance with all APC and DRG mandates of inpatient and outpatient reporting requirements
- Demonstrates competency in the use of computer applications and APC/DRG Grouper Software, Outpatient code edits (OCE), and all coding and abstracting software and hardware currently used by the team and the Client
- Utilize online resources to accurately assign codes. Advanced knowledge of researching coding related issues. (i.e. coding clinics, coding guidelines, etc.)
- Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements and trains new staff as well as keeping current staff updated on new coding guidelines and codes.
- Stays up to date on new technology in coding and abstracting software and other forms of automation and stays informed about transaction code sets, HIPAA requirements, and other future issues impacting coding functions.
- Creates training materials for the coding team while abiding by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines
- Clear understanding of coding edits for appropriate APC and/or DRG assignment and can accurately resolve those edits.
- Actively seeks to promote and help maintain a professional, team-oriented, service conscious environment, which contributes to the goals of the team and reflects the values of the system
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates proven success in roles and extensive abilities to lead client-facing consulting teams, including the following areas:
- Reallocates time to complete assigned work and help others perform effectively
- Values making others productive
- Responds to client needs and/or thoughtfully prioritizes competing demands (both internal and external)
- Ability to communicate both verbally and written, stay organized and demonstrates effective time management skills
- Must have experience using various electronic medical records.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and emails and troubleshooting computer problems.
- Demonstrate advanced to expert level coding competency in ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, CPT-4, HCPCS and Coding Modifiers and displays advanced competency of Inpatient/Outpatient coding guidelines and Diagnosis Related Group (DRG)/Ambulatory Payment Category (APC)
Job Requirements and Preferences
- Minimum Licensure/Certification: Current AHIMA credentials (i.e. CCS, CCS-P) or AAPC credentials (i.e. COC, CIC, CPC, CPC-H) required and maintained
- Minimum Years of Experience: 5+ years of medical coding experience (facility and/or consulting) to include both inpatient and outpatient, preferably in an acute care setting
Recruiting Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Recruiting Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Recruiting Solutions expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.